Here is a fun appetizer or an amazing amuse-bouche. We served this to our dinner guests recently as a lovely amuse-bouche and we’ve also served trays of them at a cocktail party. This is a true crowd pleaser! très chic!!!
Give this a try and let us know what you think!
For a quick demonstration of how easy this is to prepare, check out our video of Harris preparing this crowd pleaser.
Eggplant & Feta with Pine Nuts & Basil
Appetizer or Amuse-Bouche
Makes 1 dozen
- 1 Italian or 2 Japanese Eggplant(s), cut lengthwise ¼ inch thick slices
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- ¼ pound feta cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 dozen tender basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt & pepper
- Brush slices of eggplant with olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
- On high heat, sauté eggplant until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove eggplant from pan and set on plate to cool.
- On work surface, lay out the eggplant and place cube of feta cheese about 2 inches from the end. Sprinkle with 4 or 5 toasted pine nuts and place one basil leaf on top of the feta cheese.
- Roll the eggplant around the cheese, keeping the pine nuts and basil inside the roll-up and skewer with a large decorative tooth pick.
- Plate & serve!