We are now in the middle of zucchini season. You will love this zucchini bread!!!
1 ½ pounds zucchini, shredded
1 ¼ cups packed (8 3/4 ounces) brown sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups (7 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¾ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Adjust the oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease 8 ½ by 4 ½ inch loaf pan.
- Using the large holes of a box grater to shred the zucchini then place in the center of a dish towel, gathering the ends together and twist tightly to drain as much liquid as possible. Discard the liquid (you should have ½ to 2/3 cup liquid).
- Whisk brown sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla together in medium bowl. Fold in the zucchini.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg together in large bowl. Fold in zucchini mixture until just incorporated. Fold in walnuts, if using. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake until top bounces back when gently pressed and toothpick inserted in center comes out with few moist crumbs attached, 65 to 75 minutes. Let bread cool in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove bread from pan and let cool completely on wire rack. Serve.